Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The ultimate issue:

"I shall come forth as gold." Observe the tense here . Job did not imagine that he was pure gold already. "I shall come forth as gold," he declared. He knew full well that there was yet much dross in him. He did not boast that he was already perfect. Far from it. In the final chapter of his book, we find him saying, "I abhor myself" (Job 42:6). And well he might; and well may we. As we discover that in our flesh there dwells "no good thing," as we examine ourselves and our ways in the light of God's Word and behold our innumerable failures, as we think of our countless sins, both of commission and omission - good reason have we for abhorring ourselves. Ah, christian reader, there is much dross about us. But it will not be ever thus.

"I shall come forth as gold." Job did not say, "When he hath tried me I may come forth as gold," or "I hope to come forth as gold," but with full confidence and positive assurance he declared, "I shall come forth as gold." But how did he know this? How can we be sure of the happy issue? Because the divine purpose cannot fail. He that has begun a good work in us "will finish it" (Phi 1:6) and "The LORD will perfect that which concerns me" (Psa 138:8). Then be of good cheer tried and troubled one! The process may be unpleasant and painful, but the issue is charming and sure.

"I shall come forth as gold."
This was said by the one who knew affliction and sorrow as few among the sons of men have known them. Yet despite his fiery trials, he was optimistic. Let, then, this triumphant language be ours. "I shall come forth as gold" is not the language of carnal boasting, but the confidence of one whose mind was stayed upon God. There will be no credit to our account - the glory will all belong to the divine Refiner (Jam 1:12).

No comments: