Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I'd hate to be in Bill Mahers eternal shoes

So I got the privilege of watching Religulous the other day. Any body else seen this flick? I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you have a weak stomach for blasphemy (which I found out I have). I thought the film would be a little more tactful/philosophical. Yes, I claim full responsibility for my ignorance. I warn you it is FIBI (for idiots by idiots).
Anyway, about the film: (SPOILER ALERT) Bill Mahar is going to hell, if he in fact believes what he says in the film. Not to say that its too late for him, since Paul too persecuted the church vehemently before his conversion. But if the Lord doesn't extend mercy to his dead soul, Bill will have stored up for himself a profoundly daunting amount of judgment for what he's said about Jesus Christ. (He's actually so misguided that he thinks Jesus didn't even exist.)
The film breaks down quite simply as 70% footage of confused religious zealots making fools of themselves, 29% Bill interviewing people (which was edited to include only his jokes and stupid phrases/expressions from the interviewees) and 1% sacrilegious imagery to transition from scene to scene. He was smart to stay away from oh say Doug Wilson, Ravi Zacharias, or any actually Christian theologians. (Excepting Ken Ham, who only had about 20 non-consecutive seconds of speaking time) Nope, straight to the crazies. Then all he has to do is sit back, let them say stupid things, then make fun of them.
I don't have anything against him as an individual. He seems as though he'd be a likable guy (apart from any dialog on politics or religion). (I love to use parenthetical statements, have you noticed?) He is obviously a bright and witty fellow who has some keen perceptions on the vast majority of religious people who have, in fact, constructed for themselves a variety of gods.
Dare I insert scripture??
"For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time."
1 Timothy 2:5-6
Bill's major problem is that he's part of a crooked and perverse generation that seeks after signs and proofs. The trouble with that is God's design for salvation to operate on faith alone. It will always transcend science, never being empirically proven true or false. Bill refuses to accept free salvation as designed by God, because he's convinced he's got better ideas. Ideas that will leave him without a savior when he meets his maker.
What I thought was especially funny was all the clamor about the 'stupid faith' people have regarding what happens to us when we die, which was followed by his triumphant conclusion that he has no idea what happens to us when we die. I paraphrase, "I'm Bill Maher, and I have no idea what happens to us when we die, because I'm too smart. Won't you join me?" The irony of this invitation to ignorance is his concurrent ranting against ignorance.

5 comments:

Audrey said...

I like that last sentence. Watching that had to be amazingly frustrating and it sounds you summarized it acurately.
ps Mitch liked your first post and he was going to comment but he realized it would've looked like I commented, i told him to just sign his name next time. :)

Chris and Becky Buczinski said...

Not only did God design salvation to operate by faith, but He designed the entire human race to operate by faith on a daily basis. Insert any act that you don't have consummate control over, i.e. driving a car, flying in a plane, eating food someone else has cooked for you, etc, etc, etc. Watching crap like that just bolsters my confidence in scripture as I watch them live it out (Romans 1).

Eron said...

Drew-Hard,

Hey, welcome to the blogosphere! Nice post or two.

I haven't seen Religulous myself, but I have friends who have. I know enough about it though, and I know how Bill Maher (sp?) is generally enough to pretty much have seen it. He's pretty sold on making Christians--and people of faith overall--look like primitive, uneducated morons.

If I remember correctly, Notes From the Tilt-A-Whirl kind of addresses some of that, no? What did you think? I think your next post should be a book review, eh, eh?

Peace,
E

Eron said...

...and two more things:

1) I tried to look up the meaning of "otiöse morosity." I couldn't find it. Well, I actually only looked on Dictionary.com. But still...

2) The mountain pic is tranquil, almost inspirational poster-ish--but in a good way.

Ok.
E

DΛNΙΣL said...

Audrey- yes the movie was quite frustrating, and I was really glad Bethany didn't watch it with me (her head would probably explode)

Chris- Yup, Romans 1 is what I thought too, especially how they promote unbelief (the reason for hell) as the virtue we should aspire to.

Eron- Funny you should suggest a book review, I just posted one before I saw your comments. You, sir, are prophetic. I'm only about a third through Tilt-a-whirl, but I'll pry just link to your review instead of writing my own haha!
Otiose morosity is just two adjectives that I though sound good together- means something like 'futile sullenness.'
And I'm now going to make an inspirational poster out of the photo: "TRANQUILITY: It exists somewhere between Trance and Tranquilize"
You'd buy that right?